Sunday, September 16, 2012

Chapter 7 Question #2



In the article, Outside the Box, Dr. Novello touches on the topic of teen smoking and how common it has become in society. As for her argument, she approaches it with cause and effect way inductive reasoning. Her main example is her introduction of statistics of the rise in number of teens who smoked after Camel was produced. She believed it was the campaign of Joe Camel which drew teens in to become smokers. I believe this is true. In my history class we would discuss the issue of Joe Camel and how the company would advertise and find ways to lure people into buying their products. They created the character, Joe Camel, and made him into this cool an appealing Camel who made smoking look cool. So if you were to smoke like Joe Camel, you then would also be cool. It’s just a little more inductive reasoning for all of you. But anyways, one of her efforts to stop this growing problem, she helped banned cigarettes in school. I believe it was a good idea and it should have helped stop the increase of teen smokers if they couldn’t do it at school. It would be less interaction between teens and fewer exposures to others so curiosity would not be generated amongst the crowd.

Randy Alonzo.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Randy, when I did this question I pretty much said what you said except for the history class part. I like how Dr. Novello used her critical thinking skills to use inductive reasoning to find the cause and effect of the Camel advertisements. I think its funny how media back then tried to make smoking look "cool". I myself am not a smoker and do not think that smoking makes you "cool". That is probably because I am educated which is why Novello wants to educate the youth. Even though you educate the youth there will always be another way of getting kids to smoke like peer pressure.

    ReplyDelete