Friday, September 7, 2012

Chapter 8 Discussion Question #1


So after reading Chapter 8, I feel as if Sherlock Holmes makes a great point of how most people that try to prove a point go off assumptions. I feel like this happens still to this day. It is like everyone that is involved with an argument does whatever it takes to be the victor of an argument no matter if he or she is actually telling the truth. I believe that most people just take offense when in the heat of the moment. For example, my brothers and I always get into arguments. One particular event that comes to mind is when my oldest brother stole money from my wallet. What he did not realize is that I happen to catch him in the act. As he put the money away I confronted him. Of course being defensive he would deny every possible accusation that came his way. The difference between our arguments is that instead of opinion based knowledge I had actual facts to back up my accusations. So he ended up giving back my money which to this day he swears that he did not take. I also believe in times like this, pride plays a big role. So Sherlock Holmes had to go through reasoning with facts to prove his points against all the reports and I feel like this obviously still occurs with everyone. If not, nobody would have found out that the horse killed Straker, and an innocent person would be in jail.

Randy Alonzo.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah man I agree with everything you said. It's so dumb how people will try to win arguments based on things he or she don't even know. Especially when they start getting mad! He or she will get so flustered trying to prove that they're right and you're wrong. People should really learn that you won't win an argument unless you know what you're talking about. With the whole Sherlock Holmes aspect of the chapter, it seems like it shows in both of our experiences that the person with the knowledge of the subject of the argument will eventually win.

    ReplyDelete